Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Big Day

Yesterday, I had a meeting in the morning and a job interview at 1 PM.

Yes, I'm actively interviewing for jobs because I'm a writer, not yet an author, and all the money I make blogging just doesn't buy more than a pack of Trident.

So, the morning meeting.  Beforehand, I had a cup of coffee.  A caramel macchiato from Starbucks, to be exact.  Grande.  Very tasty.

I don't usually interact with many people during a day, so seeing 5 other people around a table at close quarters, well, it was a lot.

I did fine.  The meeting went well, lasted an hour, things were accomplished. 

Then I drove to the office.  Got stuff together, sat down, composed my thoughts, and drove to the interview.

At 1:54, I walked out the door from the interview building and got to my car.

Upon returning to my office, I was exhausted.

My coat and tie came off.  I went to the men's room and took a huge, amazing shit.  It was physically very pleasing, really.  But it exhausted me even more.

I sat back at the desk and looked at some writing.  Then nearly fell asleep.

I walked around the office to stay awake.

I thought about how being with people makes me tired and how extroverts are made energetic through the same process and I was amazed, really.  Pleased that I'd performed well and not seemed tired.  Surprised that just two events in one day totally zapped me. 

Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy the interaction.  Relish the chance to engage with people.  But it makes me tired. 

And it makes me poop -- that crazy, disgusting, amazing anxiety poop.  I got home and ate dinner and took another big ass shit. 

And then sat down in front of the TV with a diet coke and just ... well, decompressed.  Did nothing.

I awoke this morning and my stomach is still suffering from yesterday.  I'm guessing that if I actually got this jobs, there'd be two or three or even every day of a week when I'd have multiple meetings.  Would I exist in an exhausted state? Would I get used to it?  Would my body adjust?  Or, would my performance suffer with time and wear?

I'm thinking I'd need to be guarded with my non-work time.  And schedule regular vacations and even breaks in the day to regroup and re-energize.  And to poop.

Mainly to poop, which is a good time to be alone unless some dumbass is whistling in the men's room. Which is behavior I still don't understand.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment