Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I wrote a poem once

I wrote a poem once.

It was about fog

How the fog set in on the fields

Just as day turned to night

A road in a rural setting

Windows down in a modest car

the scent of cut grass coming through the window

The fog set in on the fields

As I drove alone

I wrote the poem

For a woman I loved

She knew I loved her,

Or, I think she did

I wrote a poem, once

For a woman I loved

And now, she's gone

And I never said those words

Just sent her the poem in an email

When I think of emailing her now,

a lump grows in my throat

I think of that poem

of the songs we both loved

Of the connection we both felt

Of the words I never said out loud

And I know I can't talk to her, can't send

her another poem

She's gone

Not just gone from me

Gone from the world

Her body rests below the earth

near one of those fields

The fog sets in as day turns to night

And wraps her in its arms

And my prayer, my hope

Is that in that fog, she hears my words

"I love you"

No comments:

Post a Comment