Tuesday, August 8, 2017

My Bourbon Cabinet

I'm a fan of a good bourbon. I know, I know. It's "trending" now. But, I've always enjoyed a bourbon.

I was probably first exposed to bourbon as a cough remedy as a kid. YUCK! But, as I got older, I enjoyed it as a beverage. I first had a proper bourbon drink in a cocktail -- an Old Fashioned. YUM!

Now, I keep my cabinet stocked with several bourbon choices I enjoy or enjoy sharing with friends.

Here's what's in my cabinet now and a little more about each from some reviewers I trust:

The Special

There are a few bourbons which run into the "special" category. These are typically on the higher end of the price range and for good reason. To me, these are the bourbons I like best, but wouldn't necessarily drink every day. Cost being one reason and another being I like to have that something special to enjoy - maybe on a very special occasion or when a good friend I haven't seen in a while drops by.

My current "special" is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

Almost anyone who has had more than a couple bourbon drinks has had Woodford Reserve. It's fairly ubiquitous and a good entry bourbon. I like it straight and it is great for mixing in a cocktail.

The Double Oaked expression is on a whole different (higher) level.

The pour is dark, the nose is rich vanilla and caramel, and the taste is both smooth and memorable.

Here's more from Breaking Bourbon:

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked ends up delivering the flavor profile that is missing from their standard expression. While it’s not breaking any new boundaries in the bourbon world, it also doesn’t deliver a drastically different flavor profile like so many other barrel finished whiskeys tend to do. However unlike Distillers Select, it is quite enjoyable and complex enough for me to actively reach for a glass to appreciate the flavors it contains. If Distiller’s Select is what you grab to make a cocktail, there is no doubt this is what you’ll want to grab to enjoy a glass of bourbon neat. For everyone else who may ignore this line from Brown-Forman, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is worth a try for its surprisingly easy-to-enjoy flavor profile.

Everyday

While traditional Woodford Reserve is a normal everyday bourbon for me, the last time I was at my favorite liquor store, I saw a rather large bottle of Larceny and quickly searched for a few reviews. Basically, they told this story: A solid bourbon at a great price.

That's what I found. I have a nice size bottle of Larceny -- it's a decent pour, I've enjoyed it neat and over ice, and find it to be pleasant, relatively smooth, and good for cocktails.

Here's more from The Whiskey Jug:

Larceny Bourbon is a decent sipping bourbon. It’s full of flavor and has a bit of an oaky kick to it that pairs well with the sweetness. It’s a robust whiskey that pulls off the wheated softness without becoming weak and spineless. It’s a whisky I could drink any time and not get bored with and the 92 proof makes it a prime candidate for cocktails. If you’re looking for a good bourbon at a decent price then you should definitely give Larceny Bourbon a try.

Surprise

I enjoy trying new bourbons and whiskeys and discovering what I like -- even some surprises. So, I always have a bottle of something "surprising" around.

This time, it's Slow and Low Rock and Rye.

It's styled as America's first cocktail in a bottle. And it is delicious.

Basically, it's Rye whiskey, oranges, and sugar. An old fashioned, kind of.

Poured neat, it's sweet, orange-forward, and delicious. Over ice, it's easy to drink, but not quite as tasty/sweet.

Warning: This is 84 proof, so not a light whiskey -- but, because of the orange and honey flavors, it's super smooth and easy to drink -- so, be careful. This is great for a Friday night on the porch when you aren't going anywhere.

Here's more from Serious Eats:

Served neat, the sweet scent of honey mingles well with the bitter citrus and rye spices, and the horehound gives it a touch of earthiness. The sugar and honey dominate the citrus and rye spices a bit, but the heat of the whiskey helps it to finish clean and dry.

So, there you have it. My bourbon cabinet. These are all worth a try. I've seen the price of Double Oaked creep up a bit lately, but it's certainly worth it as a special bourbon. The other two are both very reasonably priced and can be tried out without putting forth too much cash. I predict you'll want them in your rotation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment